Breakthroughs in Islamic Medicine

| 4 Comments | 2 TrackBacks

I'm hooked on Ask The Imam, I really am. Every time I hit the 'Read Random Fatwa' button, I want to do it again. Like this fatwa on the benefits of cupping:

Hadhrat Abu Hurayra (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said: 'One should not undergo cupping during the 13, 14 and 15 of the lunar month.' Some Muhadditheen explain that on those days the full moon has a gravitational impact on many things on earth. For example, the sea has high tides due to the full moon. Similarly, the flowing of the blood is also affected and flows faster during the full moon. One may loose much blood in these days if one undergoes cupping. Therefore, Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) advised that one should undergo cupping on the 17, 19 and 21 of the lunar month. (Mishkãt p. 389). Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) advised that cupping should not be done on a Tuesday, since there is a certain time on a Tuesday that flowing blood does not stop. (Mishkãt p. 389). Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) also advised that cupping should not be done on Saturdays and Wednesdays as this could lead to leprosy. (Mishkãt p. 389)
You may think "That must have been a historical reference, like leeching or something; surely they don't still believe that!"

And you'd be wrong.

2 TrackBacks

TrackBack URL:

(Review) Well, a big than you to Dangerous Logic for pointing me to "Ask The Imam". No doubt you to will be keenly interested in the wealth of information you will find. Is suicide bombing acceptable? What is the status... Read More

(Review) Well, a big thank you goes out to Dangerous Logic for pointing me to "Ask The Imam". No doubt you to will be keenly interested in the wealth of information you will find. Is suicide bombing acceptable? What is... Read More


The site you linked to is done in consultation with Wahabbi Islam (Saudi). The Wahabbi viewpoint is not always necessarily the accepted view of the majority (95%) of Muslims.

al-Qaedah and the like were spawned from Wahabbiistic beliefs.

Then it shouldn't be hard for that 95% to get the other 5% under control, should it?

This is in fact my only real beef with Islam - the (allegedly) vast moderate population isn't willing to do ANYTHING to stop the Islamofascists. There's some handwaving in Pakistan (but how many hundred AQ escaped what was supposed to be a tight Pakistani Army cordon?), and Egypt pays lip service to suppressing the MB, but that's about it.

I'm fairly certain that if we get another 9/11, we won't go to great lengths to distinguish between sects in our response.

And that'll be a shame.

For clarification, the site in question is not done in consultation with "wahabbi islam".

Ahmed, I beg to differ. describes Wahabbi Islam in quite glowing terms ( ). At the very least, the site makes no attempt whatsoever to distance itself from the Wahabbists:

"It was in the background of such pitch darkness that Shaikh Muhammad ibn-'Abd-al-Wahhab appeared on the scene and started his Da'wa work. He was full of hope and promise and dispelled the clouds of gloom and frustration that had engulfed the souls of people. He revived the concept of pure Tawhid (monotheism) and called people to return to pristine Islam - the Quran and the Sunna. He launched his movement with full vigour and resolved to cut the roots of heathenism, superstitions and heretical innovations with the sharp scissor of Tawhid. Ruthless battles with the formidable adversaries had to follow and migration and persecutions were in store for the Shaikh. Had there been no protection of Allah descending on the Shaikh, he would have perished. "

Leave a comment


Powered by Movable Type 4.34-en

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Chris published on March 13, 2004 11:32 PM.

How Many Nuggets Can You Get From An Eight-Foot Chicken, Anyway? was the previous entry in this blog.

Analyzing My Mind, Part I is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.